Why Soap Free?
As strange as it sounds, when bathing your pet it is important to avoid soap! Human shampoos and other washes that contain soaps can strip essential oils from an animal’s skin, causing irritation. At The Folly Road Animal Hospital, we offer several different pet shampoos sporting our familiar and trustworthy label.
Our Aloe and Oatmeal Shampoo is an excellent choice for pets with normal to dry skin. It is soothing and cleansing with a pleasant mild scent, and gentle enough for frequent use.
If your pet suffers from dry, irritated, or flaky skin you may want to try an extra soothing and moisturizing shampoo. Try our Hyliderm or Pramasoothe shampoos. Consider adding a soothing conditioner to your pet’s grooming routine.
Greasy or oily skin may also be a sign that your pet could benefit from a specialized shampoo. Depending on what is causing the issue, try our Ketoseb or Oxiderm shampoos.
Using Pet Shampoos
Every pet is different. Cats are generally excellent self groomers, so they may not need a bath as often as your dog. Some dogs prefer to lay on your bed while others prefer to bask in the mud! The frequency you give your pet a bath depends on their lifestyle or skin ailments. When you do give your pet a bath it is important to remember these basic steps:
- Dampen your pet’s coat thoroughly with cool or lukewarm water.
- The amount of shampoo you use will depend on the size of your pet. Use enough to create a generous amount of lather over the whole body.
- This step is the most important, especially if you are using a medicated shampoo to treat a certain skin issue. Allow the lather to stay on your pet for at least 15 minutes. It is a good idea to kennel the pet or walk them on a leash during this time.
- Rinsing thoroughly is required to prevent further irritation. Make sure you rinse your pet completely.
- Generally towel drying will suffice. If you prefer to use a blow dryer, make sure the air is cool or warm, not hot.
Think you’d rather leave it to the professionals? We offer bathing services! Give our front desk a call to set up a drop off appointment.
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff are always happy to help with any questions you may have! Contact us or stop by to check out our shampoo selection.